Sponsor Us for Charity

This trip raised money for Cancer Research through our 'Just Giving' page.

Wednesday 22 September 2010

Day 10

Photo is of us saying farewell to our host at the Chateau.....

It was an emotional day for me today.

Things started out well with a warmer morning leaving the amazing Chateau that we lucked out on and pretty much had to ourselves. Unbelievably it was one of the cheapest places we've stayed.

Things changed as soon as I got on the bike - I knew something was up. My legs didn't feel like they were mine, and all energy had been sapped out of me. It was like I had a different body today, and one which didn't want to be anywhere near a bike.

Johns puncture and then second blowout on the new inner tube gave us a restful start, but as soon as we were going again I was suffering. I've never experienced this before, and it was literally the worst day of riding I can remember. The bike seemed to weigh a tonne, and I had to dig deep to just move the bike at all. Leaving the Loire meant back on roads and mixing with traffic again, less pretty scenery for a few miles, much more hilly landscape and a light headwind. It all added to my physical and emotional strain, and for the first time on this trip I hated it and seriously considered calling it a day and going home.
I was already on a bit of a low anyway, as I've been thinking I won't have time to make it to the end of the trip. I was always locked into an end date because I've got one of my best friends wedding to go to in Scotland, and with the various delays in setting off, it's made the timing very tight. Pretty much no days off and longer days - my first taste of which wasn't enjoyable.

I could head back at Grenoble if running out of time but really wanted to do the Alps. Cutting a section and 'cheating' on the train is sort of an option, but that stops John doing the whole trip, and it was sort of his idea.

This worry combined with all the physical symptoms above, made the day miserable. Just gritting teeth and turning pedals with a couple Nurofen's to numb the legs.

It was our longest day yet and had to really dig deep to make it. Dompierre-San-Besbre - our resting place - left a lot to be desired (more on this another time) but a decent meal for once gave hope of a recovery.
 It's that or home.

65.9 miles brings end day 10 to 440.1 miles. By far the longest bike journey either of us have ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment